Thursday, April 3, 2014

Blogging toward Sunday

"Raising of Lazarus"; Dimitar Vishanov Molerov; Wikimedia Commons



In preparation for worship this Sunday, April 6, 2014, read John 11:1-45 and consider the following:
  1. Herein, what does Jesus do that puts him in danger?
  2. What is the most important message of this story to you?
  3. Taken as an historic event, the story has great power. How might it also have power if considered metaphorically?
Continuing your reflection on this text, I invite you to meditate on the following poem, "Lazarus," written by Joy Cowley. May it bless you on your journey toward Sunday.


Lazarus
I don’t intend it to happen.
It just sneaks up on me
and before I know it
there’s been a kind of death,
part of me wrapped in a shroud
and buried in a tomb
while the rest of me stands by
wondering why the light has gone out.
Then you, my Friend, all knowing,
seek me out and knock
at the edge of my heart,
calling me to come forth.
I argue I can’t.
Death is death and I’m too far gone
for story book miracles.
But you keep on calling,
“Come forth! Come forth!”
and the darkness is pierced
by a shaft of light
as the stone begins to move.

My Friend,
I don’t know how you do it
but the tomb has become
as bright as day, as bright as love,
and life has returned.

Look at me!
I’m running out,
dropping bandages all over the place.
 


Shalom,
Glenda
 


No comments:

Post a Comment